TFS 2015 RTM - System.NotSupportedException - ProjectFeatureProvisioningService.GetFeatures(...)

Aug 18, 2015 at 7:49 PM
Edited Aug 25, 2015 at 12:28 PM
I get this exception
System.NotSupportedException: Specified method is not supported. at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Integration.Server.CommonStructureService.Microsoft.Tea‌​‌​mFoundation.Framework.Server.ITeamFoundationService.ServiceStart(TeamFoundation‌​Re‌​questContext systemRequestContext)
on this call
ProjectFeatureProvisioningService.GetFeatures(...).
Any idea? Do I need a specific role in the database?
Aug 18, 2015 at 9:38 PM
Hello ...

I'm having the same problem. I can modify the code and make the call ProjectFeatureProvisioningService.GetFeatureState(...) and it works. I do not believe this has to do with db_owner permissions as I am an SQL Server administrator, Server admin and TFS Admin on my test instance.
Sep 3, 2015 at 1:06 PM
I am also seeing this when running Features4TFS on the Brian Keller VM. I am doing this as a POC for a large upgrade from TFS 2013.4 to TFS 2015 RTM. Any idea how soon a fix for this will be available? @DaveWhite, what exactly did you modify?
Sep 3, 2015 at 1:16 PM
Edited Sep 3, 2015 at 1:16 PM
@DaveWhite I tried calling GetFeatureState multiple times for each feature as you said but it always returns null, are you using it on a TFS 2015 RC or TFS 2015 RTM ?
Someone on MSDN told me that Features4TFS is only compatible with TFS 2015 RC for now, it seems that the API changed from TFS 2015 RC to TFS 2015 RTM.
Sep 3, 2015 at 4:32 PM
Actually, based on the following statement from https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/e797a7f6-6fd6-4fb8-a258-e13c78a4b3cf/systemnotsupportedexception-thrown-when-calling-projectfeatureprovisioningservicegetfeatures?forum=tfsprocess it does not look like I need to worry about this as I am upgrading from TFS 2013 Update 4.

"... is applicable to the TFS 2012 team projects which upgraded from TFS 2010 or TFS 2008."

You just need to make sure all WITDs, ProcessConfig, Link Types, Categories, etc. get updated and then you will see new features such as selectable portfolio backlogs for each team.
Sep 3, 2015 at 5:36 PM
@gabrielplante - I have been unable to get this working with TFS 2015 RTM. It did work with 2015 RC. Something changed (internally) and the API call (which still exists in the object model) fails using the given approach to using the OM in features4tfs.

I have been able to work around this by using a PowerShell script that automates IE to manually navigate to all of the Admin / Feature Configuration pages and "click" the Configure button for all of my ~270 TeamProjects.

Check out this blog post:
http://www.westerndevs.com/configuring-features-for-many-teamprojects-in-tfs-2015/

It details how I've worked around the problem.
Sep 3, 2015 at 5:39 PM
@DBurnison - I believe you will still need to upgrade your 2013.4 projects and configure the features (turn them on) for all of your projects that were migrated/moved to 2015. They won't automatically get upgraded to the 2015 Work Item Templates. 2015 TeamProjects will be correct out of the gate.

DBurnison wrote:
Actually, based on the following statement from https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/e797a7f6-6fd6-4fb8-a258-e13c78a4b3cf/systemnotsupportedexception-thrown-when-calling-projectfeatureprovisioningservicegetfeatures?forum=tfsprocess it does not look like I need to worry about this as I am upgrading from TFS 2013 Update 4.

"... is applicable to the TFS 2012 team projects which upgraded from TFS 2010 or TFS 2008."

You just need to make sure all WITDs, ProcessConfig, Link Types, Categories, etc. get updated and then you will see new features such as selectable portfolio backlogs for each team.
Sep 3, 2015 at 6:13 PM
When I did a test upgrade of the BK VM the "Configure Features" link did not appear on the project Admin page. However, the new backlog levels did not appear for the FabrikamFiber project. Refer to the "Opt-in to portfolio backlog levels" section here: https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/news/2015-may-15-vso

In other words, when I go to the "Settings" page for any team I do not see Features and Epic as selectable backlogs.

I corrected this by importing the following from the "Scrum 2015" process template:
  • Link types
  • All work item type definitions
  • Categories
  • ProcessConfig
Now when I go to the "Settings" page for any team I do see Features and Epic as selectable backlogs.

I guess the real question now is "Why didn't I see the 'Configure Features' link after upgrade?"

I am still waiting for new VMs for our app tier and data tier to perform an upgrade test in a real environment, we'll see what happens in that environment.
Oct 6, 2015 at 10:18 PM
Edited Oct 6, 2015 at 10:19 PM
Here is a solution proposed by Microsoft :

insert this line
deploymentHostProperties.PlugInDirectory = Path.Combine(Environment.GetFolderPath(Environment.SpecialFolder.ProgramFiles), @"Microsoft Team Foundation Server 14.0\Application Tier\TFSJobAgent\Plugins");
just after this line (line 68)
TeamFoundationServiceHostProperties deploymentHostProperties = new TeamFoundationServiceHostProperties();
After that it works perfectly on TFS 2015 RTM.